Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Happy Happy Birthday Gilly Bear, Happy Days Will Come to You All Year

The day Gil was born I only saw him for a few moments, this picture is all I have of the first 10 hours of his life. Bob and I held him for about 5 minutes until the nurses whisked him away. He came only 2 weeks early and he weighed 7lbs.7oz. He looked like a big healthy boy, until he kept gasping for air. He had RDS and we spent the next two weeks in the NICU.
This was the first picture of his face that was taken very late that night. Bob was with him non-stop the next 15 hours. They wouldn't let us hold him because it was to stressful for him to feel touch. I cried at his little bedside for a few hours, everything was so fast and I had a hard time keeping up with all the changes. I was shocked to find out I was pregnant with him, he and Gwyn were going to be lucky to be 15 months apart. I felt so overwhelmed, I wanted him but I was hoping that it would have been at least 6 months later. I swear my pregnancy was only a few months long, the time just flew. Having him being in the NICU was actually good for me it made me stop and spend time just on him. I was then forced to look at how blessed I actually was. I fell so deeply in love with my baby boy those next two weeks.
Here is one of the pictures Staci took of him right after we got home from the hospital. She really is a great photographer.

We were in Jackson Hole, Wyoming over Gilbert's 1st birthday so here is our little celebration of his special day.
He loved his cake and smooshed it up and then ate it. Honestly the kid had 2 pieces. He got some great presents from Aunts and Uncles and grandma's and Grandpa's.
Great G-ma JB sent money for the great grand kids to buy something, these PJ's are Gil's little treat from Great Grandma. Wouldn't you agree about the saying on the PJ's?
Bob and I love this funny little boy. He does things at his own pace and seems to sit patiently through the family commotion. He doesn't love to go to anyone other than Mom or Dad but he will give you his best crinkle nose smile, but from a far. We took him to his 1 year doctor appt. and he weighed 25lbs 12oz. he was 32 inches long and his head is in the 99th percentile. He may have been fragile in the beginning but now he is as healthy as can be. Happy Birthday my little boy. We love you like crazy. Thanks for choosing us.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute boy!!!! Love the pjs!
Happy 1st Birthday Gil!!
Love,
Amy, Nick, Ella and Caleb

jen said...

One year old already!!! Didn't you just have him like yesterday? I guess that would mean I would still be pregnant with Ashton. Hhmm. Time sure flies! BTW, the pjs are adorable.

Ally said...

Love the pjs... and your cute little one year old. Can't believe he is already one... that was so scary when he was born! I am so happy that he is such a fun little man (he is huge) now!

Amber said...

He is a beautiful boy Robyn! I love those Pj's so so cute!

Anonymous said...

That's our boy!!! What a gorgeous little man and you forgot to mention that he does pretty well as long as Mom and Dad are out of sight!!

XOXO Nannie

kennan said...

dilly bear, you are such a handsome boy i love everything about you from your crinkle nose to your mole on your butt cheek. see you soon!

annebabe said...

horray, you survived the first year! and loved the jackson pics and posts, makes me jealous. i wish we lived closer and could go more frequently, always loved the antler archway. ;)
ps- gil has the cutest PJs EVER!!! the hat totally makes the outfit

amylmitchell said...

Happy birthday, Gil!! We love you!! The Mitchells

andrea said...

It's hard to believe that Gil ever had a rough beginning...he's an angel. And you my dear look amazing. I LoVe your shirt!!!