Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where have we been?

If you have been wondering why I don't post anymore I have two words for you.....Strep Throat!
I would love to say that we (my family) has had this seriousley annoying bacteria for the last week. But no, let me say that we are on our third round of it in two months!!!! The ENTIRE family is on medication this week and so help me if I get this again I will personally cut out my own tonsils. A cold I can handle, but being totally down with the chills, fevers, fear of swallowing your own saliva, and serious back aches is for the birds...... When I can't function it is not pretty; dad has to miss work, laundry piles up to the attic and the house starts to smell funny..... So our Valentines day was spent like this.....Gwyn and Abe watching movies under a little tent they made because what is the harm of sharing strep with eachother if you already have it. Abe couldn't have been more devestated to miss his first grade party that I was in charge of (I obviously had to turn it over to some other mom's). He waited with baited breath for his brother to get home from school to see his Valentines his brother had so kindly picked up for him.
Abe was feeling much better by the afternoon and thought that I was the meanest mom to keep him in. Although, it was really fun for Gwyn to have her older brother home to play with. Poor Gwyn got it the worst this time around. She had a fever of a 103.2, and that was while she was on motrin. She was throwing up and mostly laying in the fetal postion all day on Wedensday. I feel so bad because when I had strep two weeks ago my best buddy took really good care of me. She sat by me, brought me food, asked dad to bring me drinks I didn't need, brought me meds that she thought I should take. She brushed my hair, and put pretend make-up on me. She refused to leave my side and kept telling me "i'll take care of you mommy". I knew at one point she would end up with it. Poor baby girl. She did take great care fo me. This is what I did for Bob for Valentines. I decided a new shirt is nice but I would try my hand at that romantic thing again....at one point I was very good at it. Something about 4 kids changes that...weird I know. There were at least 130 post it notes of why I love Bob. The best part of this was how much my kids loved it. Abe was having a lot of fun reading them and Gwyn threw a couple of scribble notes on it. Tucker was proud of it and brought his dad right in to see it. Even Gil would stand under it and jabber some kind of crazy baby babble about it. All the kids had suggestions of reasons why I should love him......it was really fun to hear, like Abe's suggestion, "because dad doesn't mind when his kids beat him in monopoly". I am pretty sure he liked it. All in all it was a delightful day. My husband bought me a rose bush and an i-pod player. Love him!
*Stace....I hope you don't get strep after riding with me....I did end up with strep that next day...oops....sorry!

4 comments:

Celia said...

I'm so sorry you were all sick -- that is no good! But if it's any consolation, I loved this post.

Reasons I loved it:
#1-Gwyn is still wearing hair bows even when you're both sick.
#2-Gwyn telling you she'd take care of you and putting pretend makeup on you (that makes my heart hurt -- it's so sweet!)
#3-The post-it heart idea is SO cute! I'm going to go write that down for next year.

Glad you're feeling better.

Bree D. said...

I am so sorry that we were both out for the count with strep over the holiday - only it was just my kids, so you win! Cute idea with the post-it heart!

annebabe said...

so glad you are back in blogger land!! so sorry to hear that the strep throat bug set up permanent residence at your house. that totally sucks! i have hiking/kids sliding down the mountain anxieties as well, totally with you on that one! and that bug crawling in your ear, it gave me the willies just thinking about it! glad you are among the living again! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I had to comment when I read the box elder bug thing. I lived in Hightland and know exactly what you're talking about. They were all over our backyard. Yuck!