Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A little trip....

As a general rule civil Engineers don't take fun business trips.
Who wants to go to Kanab, or Monticello for a great time?
A few years ago Bob joined the leadership of Southern Utah ASCE branch.
He started as secretary and this year he is the president elect.
This is all volunteer work but we have seen a few perks recently.
In October he had a leadership training meeting in Washington DC.
My mom, who is the nicest lady EVER,
came to stay with our children while Bob and I went to DC.
(He is so nice to let me tag along)
I have never been to DC but my best friend Ally and her husband Wes went to Law school there. I always wanted to visit,
but it never seemed to happen when they lived there.
They have been back in Utah now for awhile and we tried to beg them to come along with us.
He is kind of a big wig with the SLC chamber and busy hob nobbing with politicians,
executives and CEO's to break away to come with us:)
But they were good enough to talk to us around 20 times during the trip to give us directions and places to eat, things to see, and little known facts.
So essentially they were their with us in spirit.
Let me say to you that I could have eaten at Potbelly's 25 times while we were there.
We ADORED Washington DC.
One of the coolest places I have ever been.
I truly left feeling very Patriotic!
We already have plans to take our kids back when they are a little older.

We didn't get much closer to the Capital than this because there was a huge Gay Rights rally going on. We fit in real nicely....

Arlington cemetery was so huge and the changing of the guards was such a moving experience. We were a little tired from trying to cram so many things into this long weekend. But we want to see as much as we could see.

Mount Vernon was probably my favorite thing we did.
It was so amazing seeing the actual home of George and Martha Washington.
The grounds were beautiful and we learned to much about this amazing man.
It was truly a spiritual experience.

This Bas Relief was at the ticket gate.

Their home was located right on the banks of the Potomac river. This was where you could take a ferry across to Maryland or just a tour around Mt Vernon.

This was the original burial place of George Washington.

This is where his remains are now.

That night we went down to the mall to see all of the amazing monuments at night. This is were we parked. What a view.

I have always wanted to see the statue of Abraham Lincoln.
I obviously have a slight obsession with him seeing that my 2nd born shares his name.
I just truly enjoyed every moment in DC.
We also went to many of the Smithsonian's.
Bob did actually have to go to meetings and I spent my time down at the mall going from Museum to Museum.
I was warned how much time the Holocaust museum would take and how emotionally draining it would be.
I have been to an actual concentration camp in Germany, but I was not prepared for the sights I saw in this museum.
That is all I can say about that in this forum.
I would recommend going though.
We shopped the streets of George Town where our hotel was.
Good shopping.
Such a fun town.
So on Thursday Bob and I leave for another conference, this one is in San Diego.
Once again my amazing mom is coming to stay with our kids.
They are so excited to get her here.
They could care less about us leaving.
It will be so fun to have one last little trip with just the two of us before our sugar baby arrives!
Thanks mom for letting that happen.
What would we do with out you.



6 comments:

Ally said...

Okay this just reminds me once again that we really should have gone with you- no matter how much Wes thinks he needs to hob nob!

farmgirl said...

Well, well, well....turns out a whole lot of great things came from that trip. Have fun on the next adventure. :o)

Pam said...

I love DC too! And I'm so glad you got to experience it together. And you are welcome on so many levels! Can't wait to see my Sugar Babies tomorrow! XOXO

kennan said...

i'll tell you one thing you wouldnt be without mom.... pregnant. hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Someday I WILL get there! We love business trips :) Lane hardly ever goes without me...and I don't mind listening to his continuing education lectures. It keeps me a bit current with his business.
I'm glad you went...and LOVE San Diego! One of our very favorite places to go.

Dixons said...

I'm jealous, I love DC as well. I can't believe you haven't been--it's about time! Glad you got to go before baby #5 makes his appearance! Sounds like you've been just livin' it up! miss you!