Friday, October 10, 2008

On my mind....

So I am freaking out about food storage....I have just recently decided that we should really acquire one. I know that the Church has been preaching about for as long as I can remember and at times Bob and I have had a pretty good supply, but somehow I just let it go. It might be that it is so expensive to feed my kids as it is that, anything extra seems like a lot. I could blame it on four kids but really that isn't an excuse. So here I am freaking out, staying up at night thinking about it. It's a good thing Bob is so calm, because we would both be crazy. So after I hit a case lot sale yesterday and blew my grocery budget I do feel a little better. If anyone has any expertise I would love to know. This whole economy thing is frightening.
I have also been reading a lot lately, (I am trying to stay away from spending money) I have to say I feel a little burned out, this is something I thought I would never say. But I have read way more than I will admit to since August. I do have to say though I read a book called WildWood Dancing by Juliet Marillier...and it was amazing. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a little adult-ish fairytale.
Don't even get me started on Halloween .....This is the first year I have decided not to buy them costumes. My mom did send a darling tutu skirt for her Witch costume....we will see how the rest of them turn out right? It's just one night. Right? I will simplify things.
A really random side note, while I was getting ready this morning at 6:45 am (Gwyn was awake way earlier than I like. I like to get home from my walk/gym and get ready in peace and quiet.) We had the Backyardigans on. I love this show. I love their music, but most of all I love their dancing. I am telling you they can dance and they are so fluid in their movement. I caught myself just watching while I should have been getting ready. I know that they are cartoons but I don't care their choreography is amazing.....
So all that important stuff being said here are few things that have made Bob and I laugh the last few weeks:
~Bob was asked to talk about his mission for the primary activity and bring some food from the mission field, and pictures, and whatever else. Abe was in his group and was listening all about his dad's mission. One of the neighbor boys asked Bob if he could see his picture in the photo album so he showed him. His comment was that Bob looked really different. Abe immediately followed with "yeah, he's really let himself go!" Bob busted out laughing and I can't tell the story with out laughing. Oh Abe.....
~Abe came home from school a couple of weeks ago with a sweet new line.
Abe: Mom if I find a girl I like Duke (his friend) gave me something to say to her.
Mom: Really? What would you say?
Abe: Do you have a Library card? Because I am here to check you out! (with finger in gun shape pointing at me.)
Mom: Laughing so hard I am crying.....smooth buddy!
~We had some Pot Stickers from Costco the other day, and Gwyn LOVED them. She kept saying to me, I want another Sticker Pot please.
~My friend Carami was visiting with a couple of her kids, her youngest son Asher is Gil's age. When my neighbor came over to meet them, Gil announced as soon as she walked in the door, while pointing to Asher, "he's trouble".
~Gwyn bugs me to death about having a baby, it is never ending. She tells people all the time we are having a baby next week. Yeah it's great. Bob finally told her a couple of nights ago , that "we can't have another baby until she is really good for mommy, and wants to help. That means cleaning up your room, being nice to your friends, and not being naughty." That has really gotten her to quiet the baby talk down.....Thank goodness. Although yesterday she told me she is really trying hard to be good:) Sometimes I want to sell her to the Gypsies other times I can't get enough of her.
Just a little picture of Gwyn in her darling outfit from naartjie! Thank you Kennan!

~

10 comments:

farmgirl said...

Ohhh, me like this post. I love that you are getting creative with the costumes- it's great! And we have a plan for food storage, right? It's all good m-friend. :)

Bob said...

Don't forget Tuck's first flag football touchdown after he told us he could hear the coach telling the other team the play, so he just intercepted the ball an ran it in for a touchdown. Thanks for always posting the funny things, it's much easier to remember the little girl heels in the back of my head in the middle of the night, or a two year old screaming constantley for a popsicle or a bag of chips. Kids are such a good time.

The White Clan said...

I love doing my own costumes. I too wanted to be a witch wearing a tutu this year but since I am prego, I might just look like a hippo. What do you think?

And the Bob "letting himself go" comment is freaking funny! Thanks for the laugh.

The Lawrence Family said...

You seriously take the best pictures of your kids. We might be coming to St. George for Thanksgiving. I would love to see you! I would also love for you to take some snapshots of my kids.
Love Jamie

Amber said...

Oh I love the picture! It's amazing really. I didn't think I was buying costumes this year either. Turns out we just spent 70$ at Savers tonight on them and they didn't even have Ben's. Next year we should do a costume swap in the ward or something.

kennan said...

gwyn and i are both decendents of gypsies and everyone know it. i love your family and consider them mine.

i guess one day we will all look back at these trying financial times our families are facing and want them back (or at least thats what i keep telling myself). at least your family has their health. i love you sister and feel your pain. i don't know how we could get through these times without our senses of humor. jude too is in a great homemade costume this year and i think it looks better than any bought one any day!

p.s. what did you get at the caselot sale and how much did you save? these are details i love to know.

Pam said...

Awesome picture of our little princess! Love the Abe-isms, Gwyn-isms and now Gil-isms! Relax, my little chick-a-dees...this too shall pass. Everything that counts is in place and it's awesome you are getting your food storage in place...be sure to stock up on sticker pots. XOXOXO

Steph W said...

Just a little drop in to tell you I love you and your cute family! My favorite part about Halloween costumes is letting imaginations soar without the limitations of store bought costumes. Have some fun.

Anonymous said...

OMG i love tht book wildwood dancing i read it in one day and didnt put it down once i swear im gonna buy a frog and kiss it just to see wht happens lol
love miranda

Bottoms Family said...

Hey don't stress about food storage! We have a plan! I do think it is vital but there are ways to do it without going nuts! November enrichment is all about the tricks for food storage. And yes you do take the best pictures of your kids!