Friday, May 22, 2009

Abe's Tonsil Outage

abe in front of hospital
We decided to invest in a little stock in the Halls company because our second son Abe has lived on them daily for 8 months. His poor throat has been bothering him so much his teacher bought them to give when he needed them (with my permission of course.) He has had strep throat 4 times just this year. In March when he was coming down with it a third time and me my 1st I decided enough was enough and I was calling an ENT. Abe has actually asked me if we could go to the doctor so he could take out his tonsils, not understanding that would require surgery and two weeks of recovery. When we finally got into the ENT he said Abe's tontils were not huge but very scarred and still infected. He told me we coudn't clear them up unless we took them out. We were in 100%.

This is a picture of Abe standing outside the hospital feeling a wee bit nervous with his scrap of silky blanket that never left his side as a young child. It's good to have an old friend like that with you when your a little nervous.
whattttt
Mr. Abraham was getting prepared for his surgery. You can see he is doing pretty well with everything.
mushroom man
Abe was not in love with his Surgery attire but after we figured he looked like a mushroom guy from Super Mario Brothers he was in.

hiding abe

A little hiding from the camera....what, who doesn't want every event in your life photographed?
getting ready

Starting to get a little nervous.
wheeled away
When the orderly came to take him to the prep room he asked Abe if they had given him happy medicine. Abe told him "not yet." He seemed surprised and told us that is wasn't common to see a boy his age so calm and content right before surgery. Abe and I laughed when I asked him how his older brother would be acting. He immediatly began whimpering and hit the fetal postion......he is quite good at impersonating his big brother. We were all glad this was happening to Abe not Tuck....Tuck doesn't handle anything that my include needles and bood very well. In all honesty Abe was being VERY brave. He only got a little upset when the doctor asked if he had any loose teeth and he had to show him his incredibly loose tooth he had been holding on to for months. Abe hates to pull teeth, he will wait until they come out on there own. The Dr. told him he might have to pull it so that he didn't swallow it during surgery if it were to come loose. He was not happy about that.
abe's tonsils

When the dcotor came into visit with us before surgery Abe asked if he could keep his tonsils. The Doctor (who is very young) laughed and told him he actually had never had this request. He told him he couldn't but he would be happy to take a picture of them for him. So Bob laughed really hard when the Dr. came out to tell us Abe's surgery went well, then showed us these pictures. The two ugly meaty objects are his very scarred tonsils. The little yellow stone looking objects are infection pockets they took out. And can you guess what the long stringy thing is???? Oh yeah, that's right, a huge BOOGER. Here are these very educated men who have just finished performing surgery on my prescious son and they are totally being boys saying, "dude, check it out, that is a huge booger.....put that in the picture he'll love that." Boys!
The Dr. did tell us his tonsils looked like an adult persons very scarred tonsils and that he should do MUCH better now.
They did have to pull his tooth, the chances of him swallowing it were too great.
going home


Sugar Baby did really well, and we hope his recovery is quick. When he woke up and was coming out of his sleep, he was very teary. He told Bob and I it really was hurting but that he was "so happy" to have them out (as he wiped a way his tears). Sweet boy, I feel bad that they have bothered him so much.

I will say he has loved the picture and he LOVED to show it to everyone espically the booger. So that was our big event this week, stay tuned to see our newest adventure next week Birthday Party/Girls Gone Wild.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Sweet, sweet Abey Baby. You are sooo brave! Here's hoping you NEVER have a sore throat again. Love you to the moon....XOXOX

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

boy was I worried about ABE







LOVE
Tucker

Anonymous said...

Only two of my children had their tonsils out ~ the best thing we could have done! My seriously too-small child actually started to gain weight and grow after! Best wishes Abe. If you were here I'd buy you every popsicle and ice cream you wanted! (just so you know that I'd spoil you just because I love you mommie!)
Love,
Denise

amylmitchell said...

Ummm....a little warning next time you're going to post graphic pictures!! We are happy Abe is doing well and may he never have another sore throat again!! Let us know when he is up to eating Dings again!!

Hot Mom said...

I was with you right up until the tonsil picture. You TOTALLY Lost me at the booger pic.

Hope he is feeling better.

kennan said...

abey baby.... i hope you get better tomorrow and no later. you look so handsome in all of these pictures. too bad you and prets are cousins or i would insist on a marriage.

and robyn that picture of the tonsils is disgusting but i am glad you posted it. i love myself a little gory detail.

xo.

The White Clan said...

My Cam had his out two weeks before I had this baby. And I am soooo glad we did it too. He sleeps so much better at night. Sorry Abe, but you will be so happy you did it, you big tough boy!

brooke c jackson said...

abee baby..

i love you darling dude. you are so brave big boy!

Sarah said...

I ditto Heidi. Such a beautiful photo-documentary, until I hit the tonsil pic. Uhh-- super duper YUCK :) (But I'm sure your boys loved it).