When you hear that word doesn't it just make you sad? I makes me sad. It makes me sad now that it is our reality. Last Wednesday just before he came home from work, Bob's boss came into talk about a project that they were working on. When the conversation was finishing the boss dropped the news that he would be letting Bob go in a couple of weeks. He told him that if it weren't so slow they would not be letting him go but with the economy......He also said some things to him that I just want to kick his boss in the teeth for, but what can you do? Engineers for the most part, aren't always known to have a lot of social/personal skills. I think that when you are telling someone that you are taking their lively hood away, and aren't giving you any kind of severance package, or health insurance, and good luck taking care of your wife, four kids, and mortgage.......you might feel a little shitty about it. (excuse the language...but only kind of excuse it) I feel bad for the boss/owner but really I just feel bad for us.
*Bear with me while I vent for a moment....What is with companies that beg for your loyalty, and want things to feel like a family, when in the end they will kick you to the curb without much thought? What is with co-workers who are your friends that KNOW you are going to be let go and don't give you any warning. How about a little "things aren't looking good, maybe you should be looking around." Nothing. Just acting really weird at the strange Christmas Party.....It's not like we didn't know that this was coming, we just didn't think it would be us first, or so soon.*
I do know that his boss is a good person, I know that the economy is terrible especially in our small town. I know that they would have kept my husband if things weren't slow. But nothing like being let go in the first round. It still makes me want to call up the boss and give him an earful of how wonderful my Bob is and what he is losing, but I know that would do nothing. I am just FIERCELY loyal, and I don't want to lose my house, my friends, my little life we have had so much fun building.
All of that being said, I have faith that the Lord is mindful of us. I also have total belief in Bob. He has taken care of me since I first let him into my life.... it started with him taking my broken watch and having it fixed when we first started to "hang out" and then was shortly followed by him calling Adam (old-boyfriend) and telling him to leave me alone. I know he will make sure we (our family) is taken care of. I hate to be the damsel in distress but with four kids they are MY job. We are looking at all possibilities. Going back to school may be one of them.
I can not thank the people in our lives enough that have been so supportive. We have had phone call after phone call from friends and family to let us know we are in their prayers. We have had treats and bread brought over from our friends. We have had some very generous offers made to us. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We love you all so much. The thing about living away from family is that your friends become your family. We have "Our Peeps" that we know we can always count on. Who will help in a seconds notice. I really will be sad if we have to leave you. You are family to us. I know we are not in this boat alone. I am sorry to my friends who sit right along side of us, my heart goes out to you....
One of the hardest things about this situation is having to tell your kids. Our two oldest boys cried and cried. Abe kept saying "I don't want to have to leave Braden (his best buddy), and I am the top of my class we can't move". Tucker hasn't been able to sleep well since we told him. I probably shouldn't have let them see Kit Kitteridge.....they are certain it's going to be just like that movie. In the end we convinced them that they had no worries, that we would continue to be the parents and they are the kids and should just be the kids and let us worry. Those words seemed to help.
We are trying to see this as an opportunity rather than devastation. Bob has never been that happy in Engineering so this is the time to decide where he will be most happy. We will get through this. We are so grateful for our beautiful, healthy, loving children. We know we are blessed. We love each other, and we really pull together when things get rough. We are good like that. I feel so humbled. I am willing to do whatever it takes. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that this is a short time in our lives and we must make the most of this situation. I fight the urge to just stay in bed in the morning and just read a book....I am fighting off the depression. I am grateful for my children who help me, I am mostly grateful for my AWESOME husband who is a worker who is not afraid to get his hands dirty.....who comes from working stock. I am trying to count my blessings people!
I hope we don't lose our house. It's not like we live in anything grand....it's just a simple home. But it's our home. I would love to stay here but the more I think about it I don't know how that can happen. I hate to move my kids, but I have been thinking about when I was a child and my parents moved us (many times) I never really minded. I was just happy to be together. My mom always made our homes comfortable, I never knew we were struggling. I never knew when we were wealthy. I just knew my parents loved me and that we were okay. I am trying to let go....this house and all that encompasses that are just things and that is not what's important. It's about my family.
So there it is people, the good, the bad, and the ugly.....how's that for real life!
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

23 comments:
I love you Mamma Bear...Anyone have any questions? Anyone want to talk trash to my wife? Thats what I thought...
So, you don't want to put your head in the sand with me? No, you are much too brave. I love your honesty. This too shall pass and in the end we will always be friends. We will always have our St. George days no matter where either one of us ends up...
I am so so so so sorry. I totally know how you feel. Technically Chris still has a job, but it would be Real Estate, and lets just say it is not the most profittable job in the world. I am right there with you on the house thing. But after a year and a half of struggling, you realize, a house is just a house, and as wonderful as it is, and as much as you love it, it is still a thing.
I know you will be okay, and I know your hubby will not let your family down. Keep your head up, and just stay close to what is really important, and you can get through whatever comes your way.
If you need me, just call!
i just now looked at your two last posts, and i think it says it all.
no doubt this is an immensely hard time. i hate it for you.
but look at your cute little wiggly car kids. look how happy they are. you are right.. it is about your family.
you and bob are the most amazing couple. you guys have always been my example of how to lead my life. saint bob...
i know you guys will get through this, and come out on top. and when it is my turn to be in the slums, i will come to you for the advice and encouragment you always give me.
i love you guys... you are in thoughts.
the world keeps going, and sometimes that is the worst part. how can they keep going? don't they know whats happening to me?
i love you, and bob. this sucks. things will get better, lots better. i wish i was there to hug you. i also wish i could be there to make your kids laugh, laughter always helps. whatever you need.... its yours.
xoxo
I am so sorry this happened to you guys. I have been so impressed with how upbeat you have been, though. I would be the opposite. That is great that Bob will be able to get out of a profession he does not like. This will end up being a good thing. It will just be rough for a little while. I'm sorry.
I love this quote- If you want to see the rainbow you must go through the rain- (I know it won't rain for very long :) ).
Brave girl, you are seeing this with great perspective. As Pres. Hinckley said, "Most things just work out" and this will too. You are surrounded by angels in Santa Clara and I am so grateful. We are all praying for a short resolution to the problem. Hope you can feel my loving concern. XOXOXO
There is always a plan and things work out for a reason. I can look back on challenges in my life and see how the trials have strengthened me. Keep the faith… you will be blessed.
I hope that you do not mind me intruding a little into your lives. Tonight I felt impressed to seek out an old friend and that seeking led me to your blog.
Robyn, you have a wonderful family, and, from my personal experience, your "awesome husband" is a great man!
I am confident that you will all be OK. We will be sending our prayers your way. . .
Bryce Spencer and family (Newark, DE)
Sister Bear I love you... You guys are amazing. I've felt so devastated for you and your family and spent many conversations with mom asking what I can do and what you will do! And ultimately it is you with wisdom and strength trudging forward. You are such a beacon to me, thank you. Hang in there :)
Paigey
so sorry to hear about this...just know that you have a great group of friends who really care about you and if you need anything, you know where to go!
Bryce, where are you? send me an e-mail will you? bobdog889@yahoo.com
I love you girl...:0(
i know i said this on the phone, but hallelujah for a "real life" post. i'm sorry you've been crapped on, but hooray for being honest and just really real about it all. is that an actual phrase "really real?" oh well, i'm using it and moving on. anyway, you are right. you love your family and have faith in Him and it will all work out. and if you move to florida or alaska, guess what, i'm still your friend. its gonna take a lot more than moving to get rid of me!!! :) i love you.
We love you guys.
Robyn, I am so sorry to have read about this happening to you guys. I have a cousin that is also an engineer, with his own business over near Thanksgiving Point. I am here if you need me. Please please call me and I'd love to give you some more info. Your family will be in my prayers.
You never surprise me with your words of wisdom. You and Bob are such amazing people. We love you so much!! I will do anything to help. XOXO
Robyn,
I loved the new years pics and especially your post. I'm beginning to see what blogging is all about. You said it all sista. Know that i'm thinking about you and would love to help in anyway. I was thinking of doing a huge garage sale. Maybe we could coordinate it. It's amazing how quickly I got over the idea of leaving my house. My friends...well that's another story. Thanks for sharing. You have a gift with words my dear. :) bobi g.
I just now read this and am crying again. You are in our prayers. I am thinking of you always!!... Amy and family
hi guys. so sorry to hear about this and we'll be keeping you in our prayers. hope this passes quickly and for the better. take care.
I love you and will pray for you!
I just came across your blog through facebook... so sorry to hear about the job situation. We are in the same boat with my husband working in construction in a time when no one is building. I agree that the kids and family are the most important thing... Cameron and I have stayed up many nights talking about how we just need to focus on our kids and family. I hope something happens soon for you. I'll keep you in our prayers.
Love, Christine
Post a Comment